- 1 big tablespoon barley malt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 0,5 cup corn flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (phosphate-free)
- pinch of salt
- 1 carrot (finelly grated)
- fruit of your choice (e.g. current or other type depending on the season)
- Mix malt with hot water until malt dissolves.
- Add salt and oil and mix.
- Add all dry ingredients as well as grated carrot.
- Add water or flour if the consistence is not right.
- Finally stir in fruit.
- Pour into greased and floured (with flour or shredded coconut or lined with baking paper) tray and bake for about 1 hour.
- Do not preheat oven. I set the oven first to 200°C and change the temperature to 180°C after 20 minutes. After another 20 minutes I change the temperature to 150°C for 20 more minutes. Total baking time is 60 minutes.
- To test if it is ready, insert a skewer into the middle of the cake – if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Other berries may be used.
- Put fruit on top of your cake instead of mixing it in. Then you can use fruits such as cherries or strawberries. Or put halves of apricots or plumbs on your cake and sprinkle each with a teaspoon of ground poppyseed.
- Or if you have abundance of courgette, you can mix in 1/2 cup of grated courgette. In this case also ad 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and some cocoa or carob powder.