Ingredients (approx 1 cup chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon barley malt
- 2 tablespoons carob
- 1 tablespoon cereal baverage powder (Nesvita, Ovaltine etc. => optional – use it only if you want to get dark chocolate flavour)
- 1 tablespoon vegan milk powder (or soya cream, coconut cream)
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons agar powder (optional, it helps to get thick consistence)
- 1 cup hot water
- few tablespoons cold water
Mix cereal baverage powder, carob powder, milk powder and hot water. Use wired wisk to ensure mixture is smooth and without lumps. Stir corn starch in cold water. Heat oil in saucepan, add barley malt. Stir continuously until malt dissolves and starts foaming. Add all the other ingredients, (ie 1 cup with water and starch and 1 cup with water and carob and milk powder) heat and stir until mixture becomes creamy like custard. Boil for a few minutes and pour onto fruit, cake, cookies etc.
Carob is sweet, cereal baverage powder bitter and vegan milk powder adds milk flavour. So you can change the flavour of your coating by changing the ratio of these three powdery ingredients. Don’t be afraid to experiment, we never bother to measure the ingredients quantities and the chocolate coating always tastes great.
Agar powder is optional unless you need the chocolate coating solid.
Nut or almond pieces may be added to the coating.
Other type of oil, that is hard at room temperature may be used instead of coconut oil. Eg. hydrogenated fat.