- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, linseed, sesame seeds) / nuts (almonds, wallnuts etc.)
- ½ – 1 cup shredded coconut
- Mirin, ume plumb vinegar (optional)
- cinnamon / turmeric
- lemon juice / ume plum vinegar
- Infuse dates with boiling water and leave to soak in mirin for 10 minutes.
- Dry roast seeds and spray them with ume plumb vinegar afterwards. Dry roast shreded coconut on skillet, dry roast nuts in owen.
- Process nuts, seeds and coconut in food processor until crumbly. Process for a few more moments until mixture comes together.
- Process dates and bit of water into date paste.
- Mix date paste with nuts and seeds paste in a bowl.
- Add cinnamon, turmeric and lemon juice to taste.
- Roll mixture into small balls.
- Roll balls in roasted shredded coconut / nut pieces or seeds. You can make pink balls if you roll them in coconut coloured with fresh beetroot juice.
- Dates can be replaced by raisins or other dried fruit.
- This recipe is suitable for 2 years old children (because of nuts). If your children eat nuts, you can offer this dessert to them.